Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Birdcage Swap.

Time to reveal the Birdie swap organized by Frankie of Dragons Web.
The swap idea was to make a tag or a postcard using the TH birdcage die. I don't have this but Sherry very kindly came to the rescue and sent me three cut outs to use in different mediums. Here I have used the one cut from grunge paper. I painted this using crackle paint in 'Brushed Corduroy'.( Must admit I was a bit disapointed in the crackle effect. I expected it to look more crackled but as this was my first attempt at using the paint maybe I was too light handed with it and should have caked it on more.
The colour theme came from the background paper which is from the 'Chatsworth Vintage Collection' by Paper Mania. (This came in a pink too but I have been determined to steer away from my favourite colour when doing swaps so as and not to inflict it on everyone.)
Birdie is just stamped with distress inks 'Stormy Skye' and 'Tea Dy'e to give a speckled blue birdie effect.
The feathers I plucked from (its all right no birds were hurt in this production) the River Thames. The doc and I went for a picnic on the river a week or so ago and sat dangling our legs in the water when these feathers just happened to float past so of course I just had to wade in (as you do) and collect them up. They were from the flock of Canadian Geese that were grazing further along off the bank on one of the little islands. Got enough to stuff a pillow with now!
The flowers were made from cream card stock circles soaked in water and spritzed with distress ink. Once scrunched up and dried they were layered up with glossy accents added.
Words were made up using my alphabet stamps and the bead trimming from my stash.
Here is the back just to show I managed to sneak the butterflies on. Would have spoilt it I think to have a butterfly on the front. Fortunately my partner for the swap loves blue. Phew!!!
There are more lovely tags/postcards to be seen on Frankie's blog from the other swap partners.

13 comments:

Sherry said...

You did a fabulous job! I love your flower and the little faux raindrops - brilliant!
If it's time to link up our cages, I'd better get on over there too!

Sandra H said...

This is just lovely and how nice to be sent the images, :)Sandra H

Jen said...

This is lovely, like the background and the flowers are just right.
Jen x

Do What You Love said...

Mrs. A., how utterly wonderful your tags are with the fab TH bird cage and so glad you were able to sneak in a butterfly..heehee - love it all! You also did such a grand feat on those dresses for the kidlets. Love your talent my dear - it's just magnificent the things you create!

Helen said...

Who wouldn't love that tag, it is fab!

bebebubu said...

The tags are lovely, it can be used as a great bookmark too.

Catherine said...

This is such a beautiful tag ! I love the lace and the fibers ! Hugs and love from Catherine

Dr Sonia S V said...

My daughter picks up all the feathers she sees on the ground when we go to gardens and parks!
your bird cage is lovely

Cheers
Sonia
http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Gorgeous tags, that birdcage is so sweet!! Thanks for stopping by my blog, and yes, the nail varnish does stay on. If it's a lightish colour I use two coats, just stick them on some polystyrene from packaging and paint away! Worked every time so far. All shades can be used and it's brilliant with metallic colours too.

Anne said...

Hi there, your tag is fabulous and how clever of you to make those lovely dresses. Thanks for visiting my blog. Anne x

Di said...

Love your tag - and the vision of you wading round in the Thames :) Thanks so much for the prompt about the replacement tubes for the daylight lamp. One of those things I'd have probably pushed to the back of my mind until a panic situation - a couple are on order now. Poor Norm though, were those the Asda PJs? The indignity of having to sleep in a jumper :( Di xx

Sunshine Girl said...

I loved the tag thank you so much - have just popped a picture of it on my blog too. Didnt know the feathers were wild - thats so sweet. I thought the crackle looked fine but if you want bigger cracks you need to put it on really thick and also only brush it on in one direction. Thanks again.

Zue said...

Hi Val. How are things?
Your bird cage tag is lovely. Are you doing things any differently post experimental art course?
Not blogging but hopping and keeping in touch.
Take care
Sue xxx